Purpose of Smith Institute
Smith Institute encourages curiosity and collaboration and celebrates research achievements that impact the JCSU community by organizing, facilitating, and promoting programs for JCSU students, faculty, staff, and community members to support productive engagement in research activities and enhance the research culture at Johnson C. Smith University.
Student Benefits of Undergraduate Research
- Explore career directions
- Enhance your resume
- Prepare for graduate or professional school
- Publish your research
- Contribute knowledge in your field
- Impact the world!
- Build transferable skills:
- Strengthen written and oral communication
- Develop critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Summarize information
- Learn to publicly advocate for and defend work
What We Do
- Smith Institute for Applied Research strives to provide leading edge topics and research methods for the students, faculty, the surrounding communities, and region, which provide emergent hypotheses for solving problems and creating solutions.
- Smith Institute for Applied Research seeks transdisciplinary inquiry, built upon a foundation drawing from and respecting the scholarship and methodological orientation of disciplines as varied as science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and performance arts; social sciences, history, and professional studies.
- Smith Institute for Applied Research draws upon Johnson C. Smith University’s considerable legacy of action research for community development.
- Smith Institute emphasizes state-of-the-art computational research methods to promote student level mastery for academic success and leadership in the workplace of tomorrow.