Home » Centers of Excellence » Student Reflection: For the Love of Culture and Science

Student Reflection: For the Love of Culture and Science

Inspired by the opportunity to further expand her interests in reusable energy, JCSU student, Deisy Esquivel spent her time conducting research at Old Dominion University this summer. In addition to learning about new scientific tools, Deisy also enjoyed exploring different spaces with her colleagues.  The biology major shared her academic and cultural experience with the Smith Institute.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This past summer I attended a chemistry based internship program at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia. The research project we conducted focused on using first row transition metals, mainly cobalt, to produce hydrogen as a clean and renewable energy source. This internship helped me enhance the academic skills that I have gained at Johnson C. Smith University. Throughout the internship, we received training on various instruments to further help us throughout the summer. I will admit that it took some time to understand what was going on but as the research went on everything seemed to click and make sense. Attending a research internship is very important because it serves as an eye opener. It allows us to get a hands-on-experience with professionals in our field and it allows us to determine if that is truly the career we want to pursue.

Attending an internship also allows us to meet new people and visit new places. This summer I worked with students from the U.S. Virgin Islands. It is a great experience to make new friends especially those from other parts of the world. It allows us to see how different and similar we all are. I also got the amazing opportunity to live by the beach for the whole summer and travel to Washington D.C. I had always wanted to visit. It helped me learn new things about the United States. All in all, attending a summer internship is a great experience not only academically, but also personally. It aids us to realize who we are and what we want in life. It gives us an insight into how the world is going to look once we graduate. It also helps us receive other opportunities later on in life.