Would you like to be involved in key discussions and influence decisions about the research culture at JCSU?
Do you want to enhance your CV with research and service activities?
Need an extra $500?
Apply to be a member of the STAR Research Mentor Group!
The STAR Research Mentor Group meets monthly with staff in the Smith Institute for Applied Research. Most likely, meetings will be held on the 3rd Thursday of every month at 11am.
For Spring 2016, the STAR Research Mentor Group will:
- Help create discipline-based style guides for research posters
- Contribute to the development of a JCSU Research Skill Development Framework
- Propose and evaluate activities and initiatives aimed at enhancing the research culture at JCSU
- Attend research-related discussion groups and events hosted by Smith Institute
- Act as a first point of contact for students interested in conducting research
- Act as a liaison between Smith Institute staff and the Colleges to communicate research activities and encourage engagement with Smith Institute
Members must commit to the following:
- Attend monthly meetings
- Attend at least three Faculty Research Discussions or Workshops. Most of these will be held on alternating Friday mornings from 9-10am.
- Liaise between Smith Institute staff and faculty members to promote research engagement across the campus
- Actively disseminate Smith Institute activities and resources
- Advocate for and promote the increased involvement of students in research across the JCSU campus
- Promote collaborations between faculty and student scholars
- Report on your efforts at the monthly meetings and at the end of the semester
Applications are due February 5, 2016 by 5pm. Up to two applicants from each College may be selected by the Executive Director of Smith Institute to participate in the STAR Research Mentor Group.
Selections will be based on research experience, previous leadership experience, research record, enthusiasm for promoting research culture at JCSU, and willingness to engage with and liaise between faculty and Smith Institute.
Members will receive a stipend of up to $500 per semester based on their participation in the group’s activities. (ie. Each activity may be worth $100. If you attend 3, you receive $300).
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or x1306 or click here to apply.