Home » Centers of Excellence » Spring 2016 Student Research Recap!

Spring 2016 Student Research Recap!

The Smith Institute for Applied Research has been on the move this semester in efforts to motivate and engage JCSU students in research activities on and off campus.  From special events, meet & greets, and conference visits, our students have been quite busy spreading the word about Undergraduate Research and its important role in student success at JCSU!

Keep reading to see what we’ve been up to…

In honor of Black History Month, we thought it would be only fitting to celebrate the accomplishments and innovations of a few unsung African American heroes, past AND present.  On February 22, 2016, the Smith Institute hosted its first ever Black Excellence in Research Showcase, and it was a HUGE success!  Students, faculty, and community residents were invited to view an exhibit of African American scholars, educators, entrepreneurs, etc. who have made great strides in their fields, had a chance to eat some good food, and engage in powerful panel and round-table discussions surrounding the HBCU experience and many issues facing young African American college students.

This semester also brought about a little travel as well! Our Student Research Manager and 3 JCSU students ventured to the 30th Annual National Council on Undergraduate Research conference at UNC-Asheville.  The conference was jam-packed with thousands, yes, THOUSANDS of poster presentations, great oral symposium, art exhibitions, and plenary speakers that covered hundreds of topics.  We asked the students to share their take on the experience, and here’s what they had to say:

“The experience of attending a student research conference like NCUR has helped with my personal approach to research and showed me so many different topics and how far I can really go as a student researcher.  Also, it was nice to see graduate school programs with an emphasis on some of the many topics that undergraduate students are interested in.  Overall, I loved the experience and the atmosphere at UNC-Asheville, and hopefully, with a little help from the Smith Institute, I can present my own work next year!”                                         Linwood Robinson, Junior-Computer Science

“Attending NCUR allowed me to see exactly what to look forward to when the time comes for me to present my own research.  It was eye-opening to see how many different topics of study there are outside of basic Biology and Chemistry.  As a researcher, you have to be open-minded and allow yourself to not just focus only on your own interests, but to produce knowledge that other people can benefit from as well.  I am beyond thankful for the opportunity I had to travel to NCUR , because now I have open eyes and I’m ready to explore new ideas!”                                                                                                                                        Alexis Johnson, Junior-Biology 

Finally, the Smith Institute introduced our Spring “Pop-Up” Meet & Greets!  As a fun way to get out and connect with JCSU students and faculty, we’ve been “popping-up” randomly across campus to spread the word about student research at JCSU – because honestly, what’s better than hanging out with students??  So far, we’ve posted up in the New Science Center lobby, and to celebrate the 2016 Undergraduate Research Week, we had a blast on The Block with music, snacks, and fun.  Want us to “pop-up” in your department?  Drop us a note and we will make it happen!

Have a safe and fun summer, Smithites!  See you in the Fall!